etd's and ears

Larry Trischetta ltpianoman at adelphia.net
Fri Feb 16 00:31:38 MST 2007

ETD's...
Well, I think the argument will go on and on and on, because the bottom line
is; a true artist and craftsman in the tuning field (or any field) will only
ask a machine to HELP him do his work ONLY when necessary. And a true artist
knows when these times are called for and when they're not.  A true artist
would NOT feel the satisfying fulfillment that he should from producing
something through his talent, if it is produced by someone or something else
(an ETD). The discriminating factor here is wether or not a particular piano
tuner is a true artist or not. Or where in the spectrum he falls. Is he more
scientific about the craft, or less?  Is he  a passionate artist, or just
artistically inclined?  Is he into the physics and the math part of the
profession more than not? Piano tuning doesn't have to be an art or a craft
to everyone.    The artists/craftsman people are all in a different spot in
that artistic spectrum, and some are not there at all. We are all different
people and subsequently different kinds of tuners. A tuner on one extreme of
the artistic spectrum talking to a tuner on the other end will argue for ice
ages about the ETD's role in piano tuning. I myself have a SAT and being
very artistic (art, music, sound, etc) and very passionate about my artistry
 I can certainly relate to those who don't buy into ETD's. And being an
artist, I don't want to have a machine do my craft... I want to do it! BUT..
 I use my SAT a lot. And I tune aurally a lot. And I use both a lot. I use
it to HELP me be an artist. I don't use it to do my artistry for me. Hey...
If someone wants to use an  ETD to do their artistry or craft for them, that
doesn't make them any less a tuner, just a different one. (although it would
make them less of an artist... But still a good tuner)
I guess I better go to bed.
Larry Trischetta, Pocono NE Chapter