Chickering Grand

Hank Lea colopiano at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 21:18:13 MST 2007

Thanks Terry,
    Glad to know there is a chance this piano I'm bidding on might have
the brass flanges. As far as the soundboard goes, I believe the piano
has been in a dry climate for most of it's life which could mean it's in
pretty good condition. But it is old.  I usually give the customer a
price for a new board  and a price to repair the original board. Here in
Colorado, we see a lot of older piano's with very nice boards. Most
don't have any cracks and have some crown left. The integrity of the
wood is really quite nice. Once rebuilt and the proper humidity
reintroduced to the piano, the soundboard seems to put out a very nice
tone.
    I also ask the potential customer to take digital photos of their
piano and soundboard and bridges and email them to me. With a little
instruction, the pictures are very revealing. I would love to put a new
soundboard in all my rebuilds, but some customers just can't go the
extra $ amount.
    At the end of my rebuilding estimate, I always say that once the
piano is disassembled, prices may change due to unknown repairs.  There
is always a little hesitation about  rebuilding a piano from out of
state when you can't look at it.
    Thanks again for your info about the Chickering.

Hank Lea