muting etc.

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Fri Feb 16 19:24:44 MST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
[mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org]On Behalf Of
pianotune05 at comcast.net
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 7:48 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: muting etc.

Hi Everyone,
I tuned a piano today that I found difficult to keep the felt
from coming out when I strip muted it.  The space between the
outside of the strings and the plate was too shallow.  What do
you guys do in that situation?

            A rubber temperament strip might stay put better
than a felt one –Schaff sells ‘em, or used to , anyway—although
I don’t have one and have never tried it.  When the strings are
too close to the plate, I just use rubber mutes and tune unisons
as I go.  I’ve also been known to stick a dozen rubber mutes in
there to get the temperament set, then do unisons – there’s
always a way.

Does anyone here go from left string to middle to right when
tuning rather than strip muting?  I do this in the area close to
the trebble where the dampers are too close so as not to mangle
them.
Yes, lots of technicians tune without temperament strips, tuning
unisons as they go, with every imaginable variation on tuning
sequence.  “Treble” has only one ‘b.’

I also had a strange occurance [that’s ‘occurence’] todaya
while tuning.  When I made the  d#3 d# octave pure the d#g was
beating too slow.  When I corrected this, the octave was way
off.  Any ideas?

Whaaaaaat?!  The “d#3 d#” doesn’t make sense.  You mean d#3 to
d#2 or to d#4?  And “d#g” could be a third or a sixth, depending
which g you mean.
            --David Nereson, RPT

Thanks.
Marshall