etd's and ears addendum

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 16 20:59:51 MST 2007

Richard G wonders:
"I am curious to know..how you can tell what the last tuner did, or how he
tuned his ocataves, etc. unless you came within a few days after his tuning.
If any time has lapsed, how would you know how he tuned it??????"

Obviously I can't know exactly...  Following up on my own tunings over the
years, especially at the school has given me a chance to see what happens to
a tuning over time.  Chicago weather can be brutal to tunings.  Everything
is a pitch-adjustment.  Build it into the fee structure and do some extra
work if the tuning is close to pitch.

Still, when most of the notes of the scale are hanging around the same
amount off, but a few choice notes are 5-10 cents consistantly off from
them.... that gives a good clue.  It's mostly a reflection of the
temperament approach, not so much reflecting the approach to the octaves.
(though those "screamers" up-top are a give-away to some other problems
going on...)

Ron Koval
Chicagoland