Vellum Hinges

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Feb 17 14:45:39 MST 2007

At 5:36 pm -0800 14/2/07, Jurgen Goering wrote:

>John, I am aware of the velum sold by BG. and others in Germany.
>Regardless of what the dealers may say,  it is too thick and too
>stiff for Blüthner back actions and other action applications in
>vintage instruments.  The sellers are, by and large, not piano
>restorers and do not speak from experience.  0.3 and 0.7 mm velum is
>fine for harpsichord rosettes.  For the purposes we are talking
>about, the velum should be no thicker than 0.15 mm, otherwise the
>damper underlevers tend to float just a little.  I have this
>information from an experienced tech in Germany who has written an
>article on replacing the Blüthner back action velum hinges.

Jürgen,

I have now collected and dismantled the Blüthner damper action.  Here
is a picture of one of the bodies.  I will report in more detail
later, but the vellum (dry) on this action is almost exactly 0.5mm
thick.  I will measure the slots when I have removed the hinges and
everything is dry.

I would agree that such a vellum might be too thick for the hinges on
early squares etc. but for grand damper bodies it is fine.

JD