Vellum Hinges

Kerry Cooper brispiano at optushome.com.au
Sat Feb 17 16:52:39 MST 2007

John Said”

I have now collected and dismantled the Blüthner damper action.  Here is a
picture of one of the bodies.  I will report in more detail later, but the
vellum (dry) on this action is almost exactly 0.5mm thick.  I will measure
the slots when I have removed the hinges and everything is dry.

I would agree that such a vellum might be too thick for the hinges on early
squares etc. but for grand damper bodies it is fine.

I would not put the damper fingers in water to remove the vellum. This
swells the finger and can also make the abstract twist when drying. Use a
vellum saw to cut out the old vellum, it follows the old vellum if you are
careful.

To find a replacement vellum, I use old drum skins, as these are of the
thickness needed to do the job, normally around 0.15 mm. I have replace many
sets of these hinges with great success.

Kerry Cooper ARPT

Brisbane Piano Centre

ph:    +617-3809-0652

Fax:  +617-3809-4699