DC effectiveness - supplementary question

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 18 07:16:39 MST 2007

Mark,
All depends on what you mean by "sufficient
control".  An undercover (speaker cloth) takes
out air circulation as a factor in overloading
the DC system.  It essentially establishes a
controlled climate under the piano.  Possible to
overwhelm at the extremes? yes.  By a
string-cover we mean a wool-felt-cover that
covers everything from the tuning-pin-field to
the tail end of the piano.  We specify wool felt
because it naturally buffers humidity.  We
specify a complete cover because we want to
establish a loosely controlled climate over the
board too and as much as is possible unify that
with the action cavity.  There is a little air
circulation possible around the bolts through the
board supporting the plate.  There is also the
practical situation where humidity does breath
through wood, thin wood faster.  I too have toyed
with the idea of drilling some holes through the
belly-rail but haven't got around to trying it.

In practicality, utilizing both covers does place
more of the climate under control of the DC
system.  The extent or preponderance of that
control has its limits.  One of my piano
customers bought a limited edition Sauter along
with the complete system I put on it.  The tuning
is rock-solid.  The regulation is close (concert
ready tight) and has not changed.  She leaves the
lid up on its lowest brass stick.  She also
leaves the fall-board open despite my advice to
close it when not in use.  Her ivory keys will
probably yellow more slowly as a result of that
preference (not a whole lot of UV getting into
that room).  Yet, I did have to ease the keys
during a very humid time here in Laredo.  Under
the described scenario, there simply was not
enough climate control to protect the keys.  I
have not noticed a difference in tuning pin
torque over the annual seasonal changes this
piano has undergone with the described system.  I
have not measured torque to see if there are
smaller less noticeable changes going on.  I am
satisfied that this is much better then a piano
without a similar system as I do have similar
pianos to compare to without such a system and
they do undergo noticeable changes.

Ideally the room in which the piano is in would
have adequate climate control but that would
require closing it off to the house; not
desireable or controlling the whole house which
is not economically feasible.  How much control
is enough?  In this case the client is satisfied
with the control we have achieved.

I am satisfied that the action cavity is
influenced adequately as hammer mating to the
strings has not noticeably deteriorated with the
climate swings and Sauters will show this problem
long before Steinways (high inharmonicity) will.

YMMV,
Andrew Anderson, Artisan Piano--Sales & Service

At 07:31 PM 2/17/2007, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I distribute DC in Australia – where we have a
>huge mix of climatic conditions, much the way
>you do in the US but without quite the volume of
>snow you guys get
! What we are talking about