M&A A

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Sun Feb 18 08:59:05 MST 2007

Hi Ric, Paul and Mike,

I believe the false beat is being caused by some defect (possibly in
termination) which interferes with the ability of the strings to couple.
(As in the coupled motion of piano strings, Scientific American).
Apparently pitch lock "staples" fix the problem.

CA glue seems to work as well--perhaps because it is changing the nature of
the termination. Perhaps it makes the bridge denser or causes a change in
mass?

Changing humidity levels can affect false beats too. I've worked on a 9
foot instrument which in winter has false beats on every string from where
the agraffes stop to the top note--that in summer time has almost no false
beats. The strange part is that it is equipped with a DC system and a
bottom cover, and is kept closed up most of the time. I did not do the DC
install and I suspect the controller may be faulty in some way.

If the false beat is coming from a front duplex--then changing the mass of
the string by adding a drop of glue to the string does sometimes work.

So, how about a "bag of tricks" that work thread?