M&A A

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 18 06:38:27 MST 2007

Ric and Paul,

I, too, was a sceptic, having done the "sideways screwdriver pressure"
test on the bridge pins of many false beating strings with no
predictable effect on the beats.  But then I had one do exactly as the
"myth" predicted:  The beats stopped entirely with very light sidways
pressure (towards the string).  A little CA at the base of the pins and
all the beating cleared up.   Here's what I conclude:  Loose bridge pins
can be the cause of SOME false beating, but is not the cause of ALL
false beating.  For those who have never experienced it, it will remain
a myth.  For me, it is now one of SEVERAL POSSIBLE CAUSES to be included
in the troubleshooter's bag of tricks.

Mike