M&A A

PAULREVENKOJONES paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Sun Feb 18 16:25:22 MST 2007

IF YOU WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH, STOP HAVING OPINIONS!

In a message dated 02/18/07 09:28:21 Central Standard Time, ricb at pianostemmer.no writes:
A lot of the confusion seems to circle around what the word  "cause"
actually means.  Loose pins may be a "factor" in the overall cause of
false beat occurance.  But they simply can not be a cause in themselves
because it quite obviously takes more then just a loose pin for a false
beat to occur.  Otherwise false beats would occur without exception when
a loose pin was present... and they very clearly do not.

Ric, and all:

I cannot applaud loudly enough the skeptical questioning that is happening and particularly the questioning of the use of brain-numbing concepts like "cause" which get in the way of clear observation of phenomena which may or may not be interconnected. It reminds me of the argument that I have been making for years that we should be calling the phenomenon of "false" beating what it really is which is "real" beating, that is, the interference of two frequencies. If frequency is a resultant of mass, tension and length in their varying proportional relationships, then it follows that the frequency variation is the resultant of something involving one the three, mass or tension or length. This is independent of the interrelationship with the termination structure; i.e. the result is a real beat with real physical properties attributable to a variation in one (or more) of the three components of the frequency. Maybe the bridge pin is a factor, maybe the bridge notch is a factor, maybe string springiness is a factor (and here, Ric, I'd urge you to look at cycloidal pendula as an interesting and maybe contributing factor with "springiness"; cycloidal pendula are another class of pendulum where the "termination" is not a pivot with a bearing but one or more curved surfaces on either side of the period of the pendulum which foreshorten the period as the pendulum swings in contact with the curvature--can you see the picture of the string and bridge pin here at all?).

It is entirely sensible (and provable over and over again) that shifting the bridge pin fore and aft will alter the "real" beating and sometimes allow you to quell it entirely. What this tells me is that there is relationship between the pin position and the string contact with the bridge top as "definitions" of the length of the string. What, after all, does termination mean here other than a defined end point for the sole purpose of measuring speaking length? I have no conclusions (and remain entirely skeptical) but tend in the direction of a length variation as the underlying phenomenon and primary factor in "real" beats.

On the other hand, I will also offer a total disclaimer and demurrer to my own observations that false beats are real. Perhaps they're not. What in fact are we hearing? It sounds like a frequency beat. Is it? Is a chime pulse a frequency beat or an amplitude phenomenon? Maybe we need to question even further back to begin.

Paul