M&A A

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Sun Feb 18 20:52:13 MST 2007

Hi Paul,

False beats are "real" enough--just that they tend to not be removed by
manipulating the tuning lever. On a fiddle a string that is worn from being
played can ring at two pitchs--it is called a "false string". I think
that's where the term "false beat" is coming from--a "borrowed axe" so to
speak. The only problem is that most "false beats" don't come from the string.

How do we identify where the unwanted beat is being created? Usually we try
to add mass to a bridge pin by touching it firmly with a screw driver. If
that doesn't work--what's next? In my case I look at the hammer mating. I
also try plucking the string to see if that eliminates the sound. My next
act if there are agraffes is to lift the string up on the tuning pin side.
If that does no good I have sometimes used a stringing hook to "kink" the
sounding length.

Please add to this diagnostic/tip list!

At 05:25 PM 2/18/2007 -0600, you wrote:
>It reminds
>me of the argument that I have been making for years that we should be
>calling the phenomenon of "false" beating what it really is which is "real"
>beating, that is, the interference of two frequencies.
Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner