managing Pianotech content (update)

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 07:58:19 MST 2007

Last month, I'd asked about ideas for managing all the emails that come from
Pianotech. I appreciate all the suggestions.

Here's what I've settled on for now.

I'm using Gmail just for Pianotech mail. One thing I really like about Gmail
is the automatic sorting messages by thread, and that you can read all the
unread messages in that thread simply by scrolling down the page. This makes
it super fast because you can more easily scan all messages without having
to open individual messages as in traditional email programs like Outlook,
Thunderbird, etc. (Gives me more continuity to the thread.) Plus, you can
delete all the messages with a single "delete" or you can delete individual
messages if you only want to save one message in that thread.

Gmail has tons of storage, so you could keep your messages there, or you can
forward it to your regular mail and put it into folders or do whatever you
want to do with it. I'm using Google Desktop as well, so everything gets
indexed and I can search email or other documents for what I need.

The downside I see in Gmail now is that you cannot create new folders to
store things in; e.g. a "Touchweight" folder. Perhaps folder creation will
be added in the future. The upsides are the ease of use, virtually unlimited
storage, plus the little desktop gadgets you can add...like a weather
"mini-window", or an email indicator with a preview thing. RSS feeds, etc.
Pretty neat.

JF