California PTGC--thoughts and feelings

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Mon Feb 19 03:46:18 MST 2007

My brothers and sisters----

Was it only last weekend? Wow. The incredible feelings & insights the
San Francisco convention catalyzed are still really strong and
present. There was amazing learning, and teaching, and fellowship,
and laughter---the entire panorama of experiences. The piano I
brought, to exhibit and teach around, was a 1942 Hamburg "B":
original "Mediterranean" board, new everything else except keyframe;
its place in the exhibit hall was on the back wall, between Dale
Erwin's globally beautiful mahogany long "A" and a powerful,
mysterious, massive Steingraeber concert grand, which I was given the
honor of tuning and preparing---thank you, Greg Schultz, Michael
Campi, and Brian Gatchell; you are good men and fine representatives
of an amazing piano and its amazing maker, Udo Steingraeber, a true
piano freak (in the best possible sense.)

The men and women that put on this beautiful convention need to be
honored again and again---the people I dealt with directly, and who
were just stellar:  Roland Kaplan, Fenton & Rhonda Murray, Lowell and
Andy from Green Mountain
Moving, Dave Stahl, Bob Brown, Tom Cole, Jim Ogden, Neil the AV guru,
Peter Acronico...on and on.

Roland and Fenton, you guys treated me with such respect and
appreciation---you were fantastic leaders, and you got the best from
me as an exhibitor and a teacher. That you honored Dale and I by
fighting for and winning the opportunity to use our pianos for the
Saturday night concert, with such amazing results, is something I'll
never be able to express my gratitude for. It was beyond, and I'll
never forget it. Kenric Tam, the 16-year-old MONSTER who blew my mind
out of my head both as a performer and a human, was literally beyond
my dreams.  Two of the pieces he played are in my top five classical
pieces of all time, and I was mesmerized and transported. Both pianos
sounded so clear, limpid, bell-like, powerful---in a hotel ballroom.
Go figure.  Roland, Bob Shea the sound guy was another miracle, and a
team player to boot.

To top it all off, I believe the Hamburg "B" will be sold to a man
who played it on a fluke, really, on Saturday, and fell in love---
he'd been looking for half a year, and had played a couple dozen
"B's" with the intention to buy.  He and his wife are flying down to
L.A. in a week or two to "hopefully seal the deal," in his words.
Ooohhh.

With all the external recognition and success, this last weekend was
most precious to me because of the love I felt for my colleagues and
their loved ones, and MY loved ones.  That may sound squishy, but
it's true. Jenika, Satpal, Dale, Trix, Nick and Peg, Jurgen, C.
Faulk, Mad Peter, Mike Bingham and his rockin' girlfriend, Mark
Schecter, Dave Stahl, Ed Whitting, Don Mannino, Chris and Karen
R. ....thanks.

On Tuesday of this week, I found out from my hand surgeon that the
operations I have to have to repair the tendons damaged by rheumatoid
arthritis over the past four years won't be as involved as he
thought---that my hands are actually better and stronger than they
were 6 months ago. On Friday, I found out, after extensive testing,
that I had
no sign of cardiovascular disease and no arterial occlusions, which
is a big surprise given the massive risk factor of RA coupled with my
own mild but present hereditary risk factors. Amazing: I'm actually
kind of healthy, despite having had virulently high levels of
inflammation in my body for a while. So I'll probably be around to
bother you and piss you off for a while longer. :--)  Gratitude is
now, has been, and will be my attitude.

BTW: when is this list going to get the recognition and props it
deserves for the powerful, positive phenomenon it is?

Night-night; I've finally gotten some sleep the past 3 days---been
doin' NOTHIN'. Just cold chillin'.

Best to all,

David Andersen
Maliboo, Californ-aye-ay