Dissatisfied piano owner. (I didn't know they existed)

daniel carlton hacicspe at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 14:11:43 MST 2007

I just had an experience that shook my confidence a little.

The piano is a new Pearl River GP142 that was delivered just after
Thanksgiving 2006. Basic warranty tuning. Pulled it to pitch, tuned it, then
started to check everything out. The owner mentioned that the dampers were
making noise when she pressed the damper pedal...whooshing pedals.
There were also a handful of hammers that were "double striking."

I've only regulated 3 or 4 pianos in my 7 years of piano service, so I
didn't want to start regulating when I didn't know the specs, and I didn't
feel comfortable cutting damper felt without getting an ok from PR. I called
and left a message with the person who I guess is the head tech at PR; told
him I needed regulation specs, and that I had a problem with whooshing
dampers. It's now been 10 days with no reply. I rescheduled an appointment
for today to do something about the dampers and the bobbling hammers.

Well, I forgot today is President's Day, and Pearl River is closed. So I
called the lady to reshedule. I explained the situation and that I didn't
want to start doing any damper stuff w/out approval, etc, etc. She got
pretty bothered.
Said she didn't have the time in her schedule to have me come over and spend
3 or 4 hours working on her piano, and that she's always had pianos and
never had anything like this happen. Now she wants to trade it in and get
another one.

I didn't know how to handle the situation.
All I knew to tell was to talk to the manager at the store.

I think I need to start prepping these pianos when they get to the store. It
was just never discussed.

Daniel Carlton