Very interesting question!

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Mon Feb 19 23:47:42 MST 2007

Jesse,

You're right, the percentage of people who just need a tuning is tiny.

People use "tuning" or "tune-up" as a catch-all phrase that in their minds includes fixing sticky keys (as in "how do you fix a sticky key, anyway...?"), gluing on cabinet parts, adjusting anything and everything, replacing a hammer, restringing, or welding the plate...  :-)

My tuning charge is a 1 1/2 hour service call for a specified amount of money.  If the piano doesn't need a pitch adjustment, a tuning doesn't take much more than an hour.  If they are regular customers, they are rewarded by having regulation or voicing on their piano with the leftover time that might have been spent on a pitch raise.  If they are "irregular," aka infrequent customers, they get dinged a pitch adjustment fee regardless of whether I finish within the 1 1/2 hour time frame.

All other repairs and regulation charges are based on my hourly rate.

With this type of rate schedule, I don't worry so much about what they expect or don't expect.  And if I run out of time to do the tasks they have asked for, I schedule another appointment with them for when I have time.
Dave Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net