Dissatisfied piano owner (I didn't know they existed)

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Tue Feb 20 00:12:17 MST 2007

Daniel, all,

Pearl Rivers' tech Dave Campbell is helpful and knowledgeable.  Make sure you talk to him.  I doubt if he'll pay you for any of these services the lady might be requesting, but he can fill you in on the proper fixes for some things that may help you.

Pearl Rivers may not be Faziolis, but they are serviceable, and over time, can be made into decent little instruments.  The dealer isn't likely to pay for serious prep or in-home service, though, because his motive for buying and selling them is strictly profit.  And the reason the customer bought the danged piano is because u it was so purdy and...it was danged cheap, just like the buyer!

Now they want a piano.

I have some customers whose piano I've been tuning for 4 years or so.  It's a Hallet Davis, made by PR.  The HDs are now made by (insert name here, cuz I dunno no mo').

These people are in the lower middle income range, I'd suspect.  But they wanted a new piano for their son to learn on.  At the first appointment, most of the keys were bobbling despite any lost motion, back check, or let-off adjustment.  I finally pulled out wads of front rail punchings to give it enough aftertouch to make it work right(I learned later from Mark Wissner, who was head tech for PR at that time, that an easier fix is to shim the balance rail).  Later in the "tuning," I was doing some pretty hard test blows, when suddenly, a shank snapped!  I repaired it and moved on.

Over the last few years, I've touched up the regulation many times, pitch raised or lowered it at every appointment, spot voiced it, and taken care of everything that's come up as it comes up.  I never charge them for the extra work, because I know that if I charged my asking fee, they'd really struggle to pay.  NOnetheless, the gentleman never fails to pay me more than I ask for.

Where this is all headed, finally:  at my last appointment, 1 year after the previous one, the piano was stablized at pitch, and the regulation was holding firm.  It is now fun to play, and sounds pretty good.  It's a far different instrument than it was 4 years ago!

Patience, grasshopper, my be the most necessary tool in our profession.

Dave Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net