J. Irmler decal

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Tue Feb 20 14:52:16 MST 2007

Gregor,

Thanks for your very informative responses. That's really
interesting, the history timeline on the website; including a much
clearer picture of the factory! I presumed (after noticing that the
last serial number listing in the Pierce Atlas was 1953) that the
company must have made a brave effort after the war, and then been
thwarted by the difficulties under Communist rule. The website
history confirms this.

I spent today meticulously cleaning the soundboard and plate, and
making replacement hitch pin punchings and understring felt from
Bechstein blue cloth. It's a nice coincidence that the piano is being
rebuilt on it's 100th birthday. I'll be very interested to find out
how it sounds with custom Abel hammers made for it.

Interesting and appropriate that Bluthner owns the name. It's a
little hard to tell whether the new Irmlers are made in Germany or
Asia, from the site. It always seems a little poignant to me when
venerable old names like that, with long traditions, are taken over
and used to sell pianos that have no relationship (structurally or
aesthetically) to the originals (if these new ones are Asian-made,
that is). Nothing against Asian pianos, mind you - but why not start
a new tradition with a new name, like Pearl River and others?

Are you still working in Europe (or the US, or elsewhere)?

Best regards,

Allen Wright
London, UK