applying teflon powder

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Feb 20 20:01:40 MST 2007

Hello Kind List,

Kind of a two-part question here.  First, when rebushing, I typically finish
with lubricating both the keypins as well as the bushings.  Anyone lubricate
just one or the other or do most do both?  I usually use TFL-50 Dry on the
pins (and capstans for that matter) and Teflon powder in the bushings.

Second part: anyone have any slick ideas for applying Teflon powder to key
bushings?  I currently "paint it" in with a small artist brush, but I wonder
if there isn't something more elegant.  Does anyone keep a bottle of Teflon
powder in suspension with something like goose juice or protek?  Any
problems with doing that?

The never-ending quest for shop harmony continues......

Thanks,
William R. Monroe