Things customers say that I'm still not sure how to respond to.

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Tue Feb 20 20:08:33 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
> On Feb 20, 2007, at 10:31 AM, David B. Stang wrote:
>>
>> Any advice about the best ways to actually respond?   ("Best", as  in,
>> "Keep the customer"!)
>> Thanks,
>> Dave

>> "HOW BAD WAS IT?"

This is an important one, I think, because customers tend to think of pianos
either being in tune, or not.  But people like to know how much of their
brake pads are left as a percent, for example; and it builds credibility
with new customers.

I measure the pitch of all the A's before tuning, and plot them on a little
graph on my invoice (it was in the Journal recently).  It goes +/- 20 c,
which I find typical for an annual tuning.  If the numbers are off the
chart, that's good info for the customer.  I say that this tuning won't last
as long as my next one (rather than "it will need tuning in three months"),
because I added so much tension this time.  It's in tune now, but it was
stable before; it will take a while to get stable again.  I don't like to
say that a piano "needs" tuning, but I do set expectations about how long
this tuning will last.

When I come the next time and the numbers are on the chart, it shows
visually that the piano is becoming more stable, and helps set future tuning
intervals.  It also sells Dampp-Chasers.

--Cy--