Piano fender-benders

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Feb 21 05:01:05 MST 2007

On one of the Carnival cruise ships, we had a Yamaha C3 roll off the stage
and crash. I guess some big rogue wave hit the ship and it listed a bit, the
Yamy rolled off the stage, hit on the front corner of the flat side sideways
and ended up up-side-down taking a few bolted-to-the-floor tables and
couches with it.

Too bad the piano wasn't bolted to the floor!

I saw (and fixed) the damage, but did not see it in it's final aftermath
position. I was amazed at now little damage was done. We replaced the music
desk and had to repair the pedal box on the lyre. Other than that, there are
a couple bangs on the corner of the case that remain - but not big enough to
be noticed from the front row of the audience.

So, at least on a carpeted floor, a Yamy C-series grand can be thrown and
rolled pretty hard with relatively little damage.

Terry Farrell