grand damper problem

Dave Davis dave at davispiano.com
Wed Feb 21 07:49:13 MST 2007

Hi John,

It sounds like you have a good diagnostic mind, and that is a very important part of  being a piano technician. However, if you want to be a great piano technician, you need to get some hands on experience with a mentor. Joining your local PTG chapter is a good way to start. Develop a relationship with several well-respected technicians in your local area and offer to pay them to help you. You can learn a lot of information from the Potter course, and from this list, but even Randy Potter recommends working as an apprentice, and joining the PTG to increase the skills you will need in this business.

Now, to answer your question, yes, if you looked at the damper heads and they are not extremely rubbing on each other, that means the problem is down below. It might be the underlever leads have worked loose and are rubbing on their neighbors, or the keys have warped a tad and are lifting two underlevers, or maybe somebody dropped some paperclips down there and they're causing the extra lift. Either way, I suggest bringing in an experienced technician to make the repair or to supervise while you make the repair.

If you're in the NW, feel free to give me a call,

Dave Davis, RPT