Renaming false beats...was False beats ....was M&A A

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 21 10:51:30 MST 2007

Dave-

I've seen how TuneLab shows two peaks for an out of tune unison pair. In that
situation there probably are two simultaneous and different frequencies generated
by two strings.

If TuneLab shows the same thing for a single false beating string, is this demonstrating
that the string is simultaneously producing two frequencies which generate an interference
pattern we hear as a beat?   Or is it possible that the display "holds on"
to the two peaks while the string alternates between two frequencies?

When we hear a beat between two close frequencies, we hear a periodic variation
in amplitude, not a periodic variation in pitch.

Sometimes in the mid-range we hear a string decay that rolls back and forth between
two higher partials.  I suppose this should be called a pertiodic change or timbre.
Is this somehow related to false beats in the higher treble?

Ed S.