"Do you tune guitars, too?"

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 22 22:43:01 MST 2007

hummmmmmm .......  Well, I've been suckered into tuning just about any imaginable musical instrument, as well as repairing a wide variety of things, from toilet flush valves, to refinishing wooden dash panels in a Jaguar.  But this one takes the cake!

In the late 70's, I drove a van with "Emerson Piano Service" painted on the sides.  I covered a pretty large territory, more or less, the western half of the state of Oklahoma.  I was about 100 miles from home, tuning a customer's piano when the phone rang.  I was interrupted in my tuning by the customer who told me that the call was for me.  I was quite surprise that anyone would know to call me at this particular time at this customer's number, but I took the phone to see who it could be.  It was the customer's neighbor, across the street who had seen the sign on my van.
She asked, "Do you work on radios, too."
I replied, "Radios? Sorry, No, I am a piano tuner."
To which she said, " But, it's an Emerson radio."

Frank Emerson
pianoguru at earthlink.net