Custom-built pianos

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Fri Feb 23 09:24:12 MST 2007

On Feb 23, 2007, at 4:42 AM, Porritt, David wrote:
> This is the way of all the top instruments.
That's exactly right. Custom restoration, custom building. It's all
in the quality and THEN THE MARKETING, which most artisans don't have
a clue about, or are afraid to spend or don't have the money (they
think) to spend on the crucial third leg of the stool---
1. excellent design & impeccable, stand-out capabilities to produce a
super product
2. reliable means of production
3. effective marketing/branding.

Lack of this last one, along with cash flow issues, kills most
artisan efforts, or keeps them in the perceptual "doghouse" vis-a-vis
not being a "serious player at the high end."

> The top French horns, flutes, violins etc. are all made in very
> small shops.  The fact that we now have a few pianos being made
> this way is progress.
Yup. And I'm determined to build a brand and a desire for my and
other artisans' truly hand-built custom pianos.
I think the scoreboard proves it's possible: I've sold, in the past 6
months, a Mason & Hamlin concert grand for $78,000, a Steinway "C"
for $66,000, and I'm about to sell my Hamburg "B" for $55,000---and I
could sell it to this guy for $10K more if I hadn't put the $55K
figure on my website and handouts---he flat fell in love with the
instrument, and has been looking at "B's" between $65-75K; Dale Erwin
sold the "D" I had for a while to a venue in northern California for
at least $75 or 80K---so I think I can say with certitude that
there's a market for our best work, and that that market can be found
and served by artisan rebuilders.
When our marketing efforts have been more and more successful, and
have built the brand of David Andersen Pianos and the Atelier   to a
prominent place in the high-end piano world I'll be able to sell the
instruments for more money---demand will outstrip supply. That's what
I call a first-class problem.
> The best factory made instruments of any type will never approach
> the small shop output in quality.  It’s just that in our history
> this phenomenon has excluded pianos.  Now it doesn’t.
Hooray.
> dp

David Andersen