"Do you tune guitars, too?"

Brad Lehman bpl at umich.edu
Fri Feb 23 12:06:15 MST 2007

> My "favorite" however is when a music education prof got someone with a
> master key to deposit three autoharps in my room.  One was almost OK,
> but the other two each had some strings which were wound the wrong way
> on the tuning pins. I left them that way. ;-}

Autoharps can sound terrific in meantone (1/4 comma, or 1/6 comma, or
anything in between).  Since they're playing only a limited batch of
chords anyway, some of those enharmonics really don't need to be there
at all since they're not played.  Pure tritones (1/6 C) or major thirds
(1/4 C) make the little beast sound so much stronger!

Brad Lehman