health effects of [was] applying powdered teflon

Mark Bolsius markbolsius at optusnet.com.au
Fri Feb 23 14:33:51 MST 2007

I just had a look at the Material Safety Data Sheet for Teflon powder.

If inhaled in can be a potential carcinogen. It didn't mention anything
about how much you have to inhale for that risk to become an issue. High
inhalation risk is usually accompanied by a warning to wear protective
equipment, which wasn't on the sheet, so my reading of that is that even the
smallest risk has to be mentioned. I can't imagine that it is as volatile as
say asbestos, where a single fibre can eventually bring about mesophylioma
(sp?)/Lung Cancer.

But it makes me aware enough to be careful from now on - I'm not going to
wear a mask based on that. The powder is stable and sticky enough that I'm
not concerned - but I will be washing my hands immediately after applying it
in future or evacuating a space if there is a spill that has caused obvious
airborne particles until it has settled!

The data sheet didn't talk about the danger at high temps except that it
melts at 327 degree Celsius (whatever that might be in F I have no idea).

Here in Australia, businesses are legally required to carry material safety
data sheets for all compounds and products used in the workplace even down
to the washing liquid used in the kitchen sink - if it's handled by any
employee, you have to have one!! The sheets are available to one and all via
the net on just about everything...

 - do you guys have similar workplace laws?

On that Cheery note
Ciao
Mark Bolsius

Bolsius Piano Services