Am I the last 'signer'??

R Barber bassooner42 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 17:11:41 MST 2007

'signing' occurs on orchestral bassoon parts, especially major symphonic
works which are tackled once every few decades: players sign their name
and the year in the margin just after the last measure, also an honor to
add one's own moniker to the ranks.  Markings made to bassoon parts
(fingering hints, ossias) are quite valuable to us later readers.
I've never given as much credence to chalk marks left over tuning pins.