Am I the last 'signer'??

firmin1 firmin1 at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 24 17:42:42 MST 2007

"Signing" a work of your artistic expertise is a time-worn tradition. As a
restorer of clocks, I see this all the time. Past artisans leave their
marks, scratched on the brass clock-plates, of the date and their initials.
I find this very intriguing. The history recollected of dates from the early
1800's becomes part of the history of the clock....or piano. I realize that
most of the pianos you all work on might not be considered historic, but
some are. A pencil mark here and there are eagerly sought after by me and
other historians and restorers. I don't like scratches on metal, but pencil
on wood is fine.
I once was working on a pipe organ, and after crawling on my back and
loosening hundreds of screws to remedy one ciphering note, discovered a
penciled notation of "fornicate!". Perhaps the guy couldn't quite bring
himself to profane in a stronger verbiage, as this was a church!

Anyway...what harm is it? I enjoy it. It makes life interesting!
Berley A. Firmin II