Milwaukee Public Schools

Ron Boyd ronboyd_1 at juno.com
Sat Feb 24 22:22:37 MST 2007

Speaking of Wurlitzer's,  last week I was given a contract to tune 26 pianos
for one of the local Milwaukee high schools that will be hosting a music
fest for all of the South Eastern Wisconsin schools. Most of the pianos were
Wurlitzer and Everett Studio pianos that were delivered over a period of 4
days. The music director approached me Friday and asked if I would look at a
couple of their own pianos that needed some work as it seemed that none of
the keys worked on one of them and other problems with a couple of other
pianos. Upon opening the top lid on the first piano and looking in I was
horrified to see that someone had started on the bass end and worked all the
way to the high treble end breaking every one of the hammers off!! As if
that wasn't good enough they smashed down all of the back checks breaking
most of the wippens! She asked if it was repairable and I told her that it
would cost more to repair it than it was worth. That's not all!! I found
several more pianos that had all of the sharp key tops broken off and more
broken hammers! I just can't understand why someone would destroy pianos
like that! These are high school kids that should know better!! The janitors
wound up screwing down all of the lids on their school pianos along with
installing ugly hasps with padlocks on the fallboards.

Does anyone on this list have a horror story to share like this one??

Ron Boyd Wisconsin Chapter #532