Milwaukee Public Schools

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Sun Feb 25 03:48:36 MST 2007

At 23:22 2/24/2007, you wrote:
>Speaking of Wurlitzer's,  last week I was given a contract to tune
>26 pianos for one of the local Milwaukee high schools that will be
>hosting a music fest for all of the South Eastern Wisconsin schools.
>Most of the pianos were Wurlitzer and Everett Studio pianos that
>were delivered over a period of 4 days. The music director
>approached me Friday and asked if I would look at a couple of their
>own pianos that needed some work as it seemed that none of the keys
>worked on one of them and other problems with a couple of other
>pianos. Upon opening the top lid on the first piano and looking in I
>was horrified to see that someone had started on the bass end and
>worked all the way to the high treble end breaking every one of the
>hammers off!! As if that wasn't good enough they smashed down all of
>the back checks breaking most of the wippens! She asked if it was
>repairable and I told her that it would cost more to repair it than
>it was worth. That's not all!! I found several more pianos that had
>all of the sharp key tops broken off and more broken hammers! I just
>can't understand why someone would destroy pianos like that! These
>are high school kids that should know better!! The janitors wound up
>screwing down all of the lids on their school pianos along with
>installing ugly hasps with padlocks on the fallboards.
>
>Does anyone on this list have a horror story to share like this one??
>
>Ron Boyd Wisconsin Chapter #532

They must be the spawn of the reprobate service brats who opened up a
console in a chapel at Guantanamo Bay, in 1976, and poured a large
quantity of glue all up and down along the hammers. The glue drizzled
down all the way to between the keys.

BTW, Happy Blizzard!
I'm not quite sure I want to look outside when it gets light, this
morning.........  Chains on my pickup ain't gonna be enough.

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.