Wurly

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Sun Feb 25 12:19:17 MST 2007

 The main thing I don’t like about tuning Wurtilizers [sic] is
that the upper part of the plate in the treble has a raised area
that’s too close to the strings and makes it almost impossible
to get a strip of muting felt to stay put.  (I mute all the way
to the top.  Above the treble break, I insert the strip just
above the dampers, then press the damper pedal, insert a piece
of sheet metal between the dampers and the strings, to protect
the damper felts, then shove the muting strip down far enough to
clear the hammers, and pull out the piece of sheet metal, which
has the top edge bent over to act as a handle.  I depress the
damper pedal of course when removing the strip.  This method isn
’t useful if you tune unisons as you go.)
            --David Nereson, RPT