Wurly

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Sun Feb 25 13:44:54 MST 2007

David,

I'm interested to hear that someone else uses this method in the
treble; it's one my mentor showed many years ago, and which I've
always felt has saved me innumerable hassles involving the rubber
mute in that area. I use a piece of angled aluminum to protect the
dampers. Where did you learn this trick? And have you seen others
using it?

I'm curious why you feel you need to depress the damper pedal up
there - aren't they all just damper flats, anyway? No danger of
pinching wedges or anything. And also, why isn't it useful if you
tune unisons as you go? I do it all the time - when I'm doing pitch
raises, for example, and just pull the strip out for one note at a
time as I go up. Or, if I'm tuning the center string only, and want
to go back after and tune the two outside strings of the unison - I
just pull out the strip one note at a time. Maybe I'm
misunderstanding what you mean in describing your method.

Whenever I see somebody using a mute in the high treble, and
tediously moving it one note at a time, I want to mention this trick.
I don't strip mute at all in grands anymore, but use a split mute and
tune unisons as I go. but in uprights strip muting has always seemed
so much more efficient, since gravity isn't on our side, and using a
mute is so tricky. I also like having a magnet on the end of a string
connected to my rubber mute, to prevent it falling into the bottom of
the piano. Quality of life things...

Sincerely,

Allen Wright, RPT
On 25 Feb 2007, at 19:19, David Nereson wrote:

>  The main thing I don’t like about tuning Wurtilizers [sic] is that
> the upper part of the plate in the treble has a raised area that’s
> too close to the strings and makes it almost impossible to get a
> strip of muting felt to stay put.  (I mute all the way to the top.
> Above the treble break, I insert the strip just above the dampers,
> then press the damper pedal, insert a piece of sheet metal between
> the dampers and the strings, to protect the damper felts, then
> shove the muting strip down far enough to clear the hammers, and
> pull out the piece of sheet metal, which has the top edge bent over
> to act as a handle.  I depress the damper pedal of course when
> removing the strip.  This method isn’t useful if you tune unisons
> as you go.)
>
>             --David Nereson, RPT

Allen Wright
6 Clay Court, 219 Long Lane