Wurly

Elwood Doss edoss at utm.edu
Sun Feb 25 20:32:34 MST 2007

I strip mute the high treble also on all pianos.  Makes it easier to
deal with my ADD...does that spell add?  I read a book that told about
using the aluminum sheet metal to pull the dampers back to shove in the
strip between the dampers and the strings.  I now just pull the dampers
back with my fingers and push the strip down, however I also tune the
damped strings in the treble using a rubber mute, and only use the strip
from the dampers on up.  I don't do it, but I do like depressing the
damper pedal when removing the strip in that it takes some of the
pressure off the damper lever and makes it less likely to damage the
damper felt...I've done that also on some cheaper spinets.  I'm sure
most technicians don't do this, but it works for me!

Joy!

Elwood

Elwood Doss, Jr., M.M.E., RPT

Piano Technician/Technical Director