Stiff Damper Rail

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 20:02:13 MST 2007

Usually when the lift rod is in need of lubricating, it's because there's a
creaky/squeaky type noise. I've not encountered a stiff lift rod like you're
describing. Could it be something else? Maybe a spring under the pedal?

Anyway, if you ever need to lube the rod, it can be removed by sliding it
out of the rod hook brackets. There are usually four hooks, and you'll need
to remove one of the dampers to unscrew one bracket. (Three hooks point one
direction, and one points the other. I think that's right - been a while.
You'll see it when you pull the action. If I can figure it out, anyone else
can.) Then it slides out, but you'll need to guide it gently past the damper
levers so the hooks don't grab them.

JF