Birdcage Tech, Baldwin String Breakage

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 27 11:21:34 MST 2007

When Harold Conklin was pioneering research on inharmonicity, he came up with a method for designing bass strings with the intent of reducing inharmonicity.  Unfortunately, the result was a smaller-than-usual core wire, and consequently a higher percent of breaking point.  It generally was not enough to present a problem in "normal" usage, but in an environment with very heavy-handed pianists, it can be a big problem.  When I was at Baldwin, I designed a special set of bass strings for each current grand model.  We jokingly referred to these as "bullet-proof" bass strings.  When tech support encountered chronic cases of string breakage, they would provide these strings as replacements.  If they are routinely that heavy-handed, what do they care about inharmonicity?  I would be curious to know if you were to call Baldwin tech support today, and asked for their "bullet-proof" bass strings, if they would know what you were talking about.  If they no longer have these available, I'd go to James Arledge.  He can fix you up with a set of bass strings that will be less fragile.

Frank Emerson
pianoguru at earthlink.net