mutes

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Feb 27 15:40:48 MST 2007

Hi Allen

Actually,  uprights is what I started using just rubber mutes on.
Getting the strip on was always just a pain in the patootey and it just
didnt seem to be worth the time to dig the thing out of my bag, put it
in, do the temperament and whip it off again.  Once in a while a rubber
mute slips and I have to dig it out of the damper levers... but you get
used to avoiding that.

I remember years ago going into a music store in the north Seattle area
called Prossers (I think thats how its spelled) I watched this guy strip
mute the entire piano... took him ten minutes all in all.  I just didnt
( and still dont) get the point. Seems counter productive to me.  But,
different strokes. In the end if you get good results its not so
important I guess.

Cheers
RicB

    Ric,

    I'm curious, do you use the same method on uprights as well? I don't
    use strips on grands, but prefer to on uprights, because I don't like
    dealing with the gravity issues (mutes falling out or drooping down
    onto the dampers, etc.).

    Allen Wright