Has THIS ever happened to you?

James H Frazee jimfrazee at msn.com
Wed Feb 28 20:01:26 MST 2007

Well, I know exactly how you feel because, as S O P, the first thing I examine in any new customer situation is the condition of the piano bench (for the very simple reason that I don't want to sit down and then have the client say I "broke" their bench.  [Randy Potter 101])  Early on what I found (and what I'm sure many find) is that the bench "bottom" has been blown out, normally because people stuff too much music in there.  I note this and offer to repair same in my shop for a fee that is actually very profitable, considering it only takes about twenty minutes total to do the repair.  What you're experiencing is that most households don't have anyone who knows how to fix anything, basic woodworking, electrical, plumbing or otherwise!  It's incredible but look around - broken stair treads, loose and dangling veneer pieces, music racks missing a screw on one or both sides, leaky faucets, broken switch plate covers - the list goes on and on.  You have to pick and choose your battles:  I have one little old sweet lady who has no family left who I'll do anything for.  I have other clients with two Hummers and a BMW and a John Deere in the driveway, a reserved parking space for the "domestic" help and a white C3 in the living room and, even though I could probably make lots of money there, I just pass . . . God bless us all.