Bridle Straps

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jan 1 11:31:09 MST 2007

> It is possible that a tech before you may have not been trained to only
> use a */spot/* of glue on the cork.

Not the cork, the tape.

>What happens in this case?  Do
> */you/* find the tech and send him/her to hell, along with the piano
> keys, so he can play his accordion?

You deal with it like all the other stuff you deal with every
day. It's not the end of the world, and so rarely comes up,
that it's mostly a non issue. How many sets of bridle straps
would you expect to replace in any given piano, anyway?  If
mice are eating them (my Father in law always wanted to market
cheese flavored bridle straps to insure future income), they
are doing plenty of other damage to the piano in the process,
which limits repeat jobs. If the straps are deteriorating from
age, how many years can we realistically expect a piano to
last and function with superficial repairs like bridle strap
replacement? I'd say if you're installing the third set of
bridle straps, after the guy who installed the second, the
piano most likely needs a thorough rebuilding, or a tour of
the dump. Forget the mortician's makeup, and just close the lid.

Ron N