elbow job

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Jan 6 08:39:16 MST 2007

When I do an elbow job, I break off the elbows and clean out the whippens in
the piano. A little butane torch is good for getting the stubborn ones. I
then gather all of the drop wires with buttons and take them back to my
shop. This takes 20-30 minutes. I like to take them back to the shop for the
purpose of trimming the green felt on the sides of the buttons. I just hold
it up to the disc sander and give a little twirl. I'm not looking to get all
the felt off, just trim a little.

The reason is that I've found that the felt swells and contributes to excess
friction in the key movement- especially when you turn them to adjust the
lost motion and get them out of the position they've settled into over the
years.

Actually, I have my slave labor (sons) do this and spin the new elbows on.
Then I return to the home and finish. $350.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802