Just needs a little tuning!

Joey Recker joey at onkeypiano.com
Mon Jan 8 03:22:47 MST 2007

"Mamma said there be days like this."

This morning I woke up to a terrible rain storm.  My first piano of the day
was a new customer only 10 miles away who told me she had an upright piano
that just needed a "tuning".

I arrived to find a 1975 Henry F. Miller Spinet.  It didn't look too bad
from the outside.  Then I opened it up.  the felt on every single hammer is
seperating from the hammers.  I counted 24 bass strings broken, and 26
treble strings.

I showed her what it looked like on the inside and she asked me if it was
worth fixing.  I told her that she was the only one who could decide that.
I gave her a price for re-stringing, and replacing all the hammers and a
good cleaning.  I explained to her what a comperable piano would cost her to
purchase new and used.  I bid the job high enough (but fair for the amount
of work that needs to be done) and figured that no sane person would want to
put that kind of money into this piano.  She wants it fixed!

I usually just lurk here and glean all the knowlege I can from you fine
folks, but my new year's resolution is to participate more in the list.  I
thought this gem of a piano was worth sharing.  I'm just glad all it needed
was a good tuning!  I don't think I could stand it if it needed some serious
work done!

Joey
On Key Piano
Plains, GA