Tripoli

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Thu Jan 11 15:58:05 MST 2007

Hi Phil,

I don't know that there is anything wrong with either approach.  In
woodworking, I often sand one direction with the first grit, and change
directions with every subsequent grit.  This allows you to make sure you
have eliminated all the previous grits scratches a little more easily.  If
there is a cross-pattern, you need to keep sanding.

The bottom line is, you sand (or in this case, buff) until you have removed
the scratches.  You've either gone down to the bottom of the scratches from
the sandpaper, or not.  Buffing in either direction will achieve that.

My take,
William R. Monroe