mystery buzz

Patrick Poulson pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 16 10:50:55 MST 2007

Jason: Since the buzz is activated by other notes being played, it is not likely to be a string problem. My first guess would be either a loose case part or screw, something on the soundboard, or a soundboard crack rib separation, although this is unlikely if this is a one year old piano. Loose case parts can be a real bear to track down. Lock mechanisms, hinge pins, or just about any small screw in the case or action can cause such a buzzing. Usually I will have someone play the offending note and go around listening to all sections of the piano. Some technicians use a stethoscope as well. You can eat up a lot of time trying to find these buzzes. Usually the offending part is not visibly vibrating, and a half turn with a screwdriver tightens a screw down and it is gone. Good luck! And charge for your travel time.
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician
Piano Technicians Guild