mystery buzz

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Jan 16 15:28:32 MST 2007

I agree with Patrick that it is not likely a string problem if the sound can
be heard on adjacent notes. As he said, solving the problem can be a real
time consumer. I always tell this to the customer so they don't expect
miracles. I explain that the piano is designed to be a resonant instrument
and the tiniest loose part or faulty glue joint can cause buzzing. I make no
guarantees that I'll be able to find the buzz, but my track record so far is
near 100%.

A very common buzz on newer pianos is the brass lid catch on the inner rim.
The two pieces tend to be slightly mis-aligned causing them to come loose
after closing the lid a few times.

Don't forget to check other items in the room: picture on the wall, clock on
the shelf, etc.

Also look for loose screws in the back action, trap work and sostenuto
mechanism.

Use a sound board steel to probe around under the plate to see if there is
anything loose and sitting on top of the soundboard.

After you feel like you have eliminated all possibility of loose parts,
apply some thin CA glue to the root of the bridges. Then turn piano on side
and run thin CA glue on ribs and around rim. To glue the rim joint on top
squirt a near full bottle of glue at the joint and the capillary action will
actually pull the glue vertically into the joint. Let sit for a few minutes
then lightly mist accelerator over everything you've just glued. This will
set up any excess glue to keep it from running onto the floor when you set
the piano back up. It is not uncommon on even newer pianos for there to be
voids in glue joints that cause this kind of annoying buzz.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802