Screw Stingers

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 17 20:20:35 MST 2007

Steve,
There, actually, two, similar, tools that are call M&H wrenches: Schaff #'s
19 & 78. The #19 is the correct tool for M&H Grands. However they're so
damned cheap that it's too short. My fix would be to: 1. sand the Chrome
off of the handle. 2. Make Wooden handle about 6" long, somewhat similar in
shape of the existing M&H tool handle, but bigger around and longer. 3.
Take a thin piece of maple, the approximate thickness of the original
handle. 4. draw the profile of the original handle on it. 5. cut out the
profile in the maple. (I'd use my bandsaw) 6. Slice the New handle in half.
7. Put the Olde tool handle in the profile cut-out of the maple and
sandwich that between the two halves of the New Handle. Bond that sucker
together with a thick epoxy, (like J-B Weld). 8. Clamp it up and let set
up. 9. When set up, sand, smooth and finish it with the finish of your
choice. (I prefer Tung Oil, as it's restorable)
Now, you've got a tool that won't kill your hands and will bring you many
years of pleasure, every time you use it. K?<G>
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I