Baldwin M keyframe glides/bedding

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Thu Jan 18 07:37:04 MST 2007

 Hi all,

I don't service all that many Baldwin grands, but yesterday I had the opportunity to pitch raise, tune and do a few little repairs on a neglected 18 year old or so Baldwin M.  Not a bad little pianner.

I had the action out to remove a few foreign objects that were causing keys and dampers to malfunction, when I noticed that there was a pretty bad keyframe knock.  Despite the fact that the cheek blocks have downbearing on the keyframe end-pins, the knock did not entirely go away when I tightened the cheek block bolts.  I wanted to bed the keyframe, but found that there is no access without removing the end keys.  Then I thought, "these glides may be fixed?"

I didn't have time to deal with it yesterday, but will go back in the near future, armed with any tips I might get here from those of you with more experience with these pianos.  Baldwins always seem to have some quirk or other, don't they?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560