Steinway question

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Jan 18 09:31:16 MST 2007

At 8:01 am -0500 18/1/07, JIMRPT at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 1/17/07 11:04:33 PM, tomtuner at verizon.net writes:
>
>How does one tell if a Steinway is from Hamburg? ........
>
>Phil Tom and Conrad are right...you might also look at the sostenuto
>bar...if it is attached to the belly rail rather than action it is a
>definite Hamburg.
>Jim Bryant, FL

And if not then it could be also.  I don't know when they changed.
In my limited experience (thank goodness) of American Steinways a
common feature was the lack of any under-cover on the dampers, but
there are many differences that make an American Steinway instantly
recognisable as such.  It's easy enough to get Steinways to look up
the serial number.

JD