A tenor bridge conversion

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 24 16:55:01 MST 2007

> For purposes of this discussion, most of us on this list would agree that
a tenor bridge or extended bass bridge would give a better transition.
What we wonder is: why do manufacturers continue to produce pianos with
"hockey stick" bridges?

On the low end, you have manufacturers who only know how to copy proven
designs. They are not willing to spend the money to bring in the people who
can advance the technical value of their product.  As long as they can sell
what they build, they have no incentive to do anything different.  With 180
piano builders in China alone, building more pianos than the worldwide
market can support, many of these companies eventually have to go.  Those
that fall into this group will certainly be the ones to fall out.

On the high end, you have companies that can sell, day in and day out,
purely on their name recognition.  They, too, have no incentive to change
anything.  When their recent feeble attempts at innovation turn sour, they
have even less enthusiasm for change.  So, they keep on doing what has
worked for them in the past.  This opens the door for the next group.

In the middle, there are a handful of companies, if that, who are willing
to spend the money to advance their product.  They are determined not to be
in the first group, and aspire to be in the high end group.  These are the
companies who will produce what you are looking for in new piano
production.  Don't ask me who they are.  I don't know.  All I can tell you
is that Hailun is one of them.

Frank Emerson