Damp chaser

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 24 18:46:29 MST 2007

David,
I too service pianos in an institutional
setting.  Unless you have a sub to run around
filling water tanks, utilize DC's dehumidifier
only hygrometer system on the practice
non-critical pianos.  I'd put full systems on
concert instruments and that of serious (read:
will fill up their own tanks) piano
professors.  The dual systems do need water year
round, just less during wet weather.  The
dehumidifier systems work well to help stabilize
the pianos.  Where fine tuning is critical the
complete system is a must.  Had a D drop 10 cents
in one day during concert season.  The department
head asked how can we avoid that happening again:
we added a humidifier to the dehumidifier system
it had and now I just fix unisons before each
concert.  I always install smart heater brackets
that prevent the dehumidifier bar from activating
if it is dry.  I also install beepers because
no-one actually bends over to check those
lights.  That meep meeep meep..., works every
time. :-)  Backside or under-covers do make these
systems much more effective.  Also they help to
camouflage the "balls" under your D when it is on stage. ;-) :-D

Andrew Anderson