Tokiwa wippens

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Jan 27 20:57:46 MST 2007

Hi all
  As a public service announcement  I'm Reporting  back on the Steinway
Hamburg copy Tokiwa  wippens.
  As you may know I tend to support the folks in our  industry with my
comments of support when they deserve it & the Tokiwa guys  are working hard to give
us parts we can use. Yes, they had  earned bad rap  over the funky pinning
issues in the past but I am confident this is all in  the past ,since they now
employ the Yamaha Method of materials & techniques.  Including the Main Yamaha
pinning guru.  Cool huh?
   I'm kind hard to please but this new wippen is a  fine piece of
engineering.  The pinning is very even & nice.  I  installed these on a Steinway B
currently in for an action. Traveling was  minimal &  unlike some recents sets of
German wippens, the regulating  screws were nice & tight.
   This is an exact copy of the Renner wippen the  N.Y. Steinway factory
sells,  Only for less money.
  It has a butterfly  spring, & easy to adjust.  Nice Aye?  I'm not a fan of
the screw type rep-spring adjuster  device.  It's a pain to adjust initially.
     IThe new part has one piece body &  can come with or without angled
wippen heel.
 Although built for a 17 mm Knuckle & shank it would  be no problem to use it
with a 16 mm Or 16.5 mm. Nicely Machined & each one  numbered on rep lever.
IAs  hold these side by side with the German  wippen...... other then the
Number they are indistinguishable from the German  part.
  Enjoy
   Dale Erwin

Dale Erwin--Piano Restorations
4721  Parker rd