rookie question; Setting bLow distance

Concert Piano Service concertpianoservice at planet.nl
Sun Jan 28 16:14:42 MST 2007

On 28-jan-2007, at 23:17, Alan R. Barnard wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>        Reading Reblitz's book, his step #8 to reguating a vertical
> states to shim up the hammer rest rail to the correct blow
> distance. My question is, if this is done then arent you tampering
> with/advancing the stroke and infringing upon the room/space in
> which the parts need to cycle? Seems to me, if a piano is an old
> upright, wouldnt it be wise to first at least replace the felt
> front and balance rail punchings, before you go ahead and set the
> stroKe??
>
> Julia Gottshall
> Reading, PA

Hi Julia,

A pianist starts playing the pianos by touching the keys.
Therefor, his or her initial contact with a piano starts with
depressing keys.
The touch and feel of any piano is the most important moment to any
player of this kind of instrument.
Generally speaking, the piano industry has come to a sort of
agreement that key dip should be very close to around 10 mm, give or
take.
This at least is a very important issue.
So, if we can accept that key dip, generally speaking, is 10 mm, than
it means that hammer travel, or blow distance, is around 1:5 which
means 10 mm : 50 mm.
In practice this is not true, because the hammer striking distance is
always less.

If we don't know any better, than we may assume that our striking
distance gauge tells us what the correct hammer striking distance
SHOULD be.
However, if we can accept that key dip is something we don't tamper
with, than the hammer striking distance depends on what the action
allows for.
A more firm front punching like the Wurzen front punching in fact
tells us exactly what a key dip of 10 mm means. without any compromise.
If you stick to this, and follow up on the normal regulation
procedure, a 'blow distance' of around 46 mm will be more or less
correct.

There is more to it, but life is tough enough.

OOR

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek